09 July 2008

writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear

To conclude my previous post, as delayed a conclusion that might be, my guest informed me that I was an extremely talented server, and that it really takes skill to perform my tasks as well as I did. In addition, she asked me what I ultimately wanted to do with my life, and when I informed her I wished to pursue a career in publishing, she declared to her dining companion, "Oh yes, she'll go far. You'll succeed. I can tell. It'll happen." Even though this woman's interaction with me spanned a total of about forty minutes, it gave me a wee little boost of confidence to hear such encouragement. I wish I had asked her name. It would have made the encounter seem more personal.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day, and I am troubled in heart. A recent conversation, completed in snippets over the Interwebs, left me feeling both belittled and guilty. I felt attacked, and when I reciprocated in what I thought was a diplomatic way, I was only brought further down. This from a person who I used to be rather close to, albeit for a short while. Apparently being careful and gentle with my words no longer pays off. I was met with sarcasm and derison. And it hurt.

No one appreciates or deserves to have possible insecurities or real inadequacies thrown in their face. No one. I wouldn't tell F, R, or J, guys I work with at the 'bee's, that they are inappropriate and vulgar and have poor hygiene, respectively. I wouldn't tell them that. This isn't me being passive. I have told people off before. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a temper. But if someone has been nothing but civil and/or cordial to me, and I have no reason whatsoever to point out their flaws, and doing so would only cause hurt, then I wouldn't. It's. Not. Kind.

I feel these sentiments hold especially true for someone you used to know well. You can tell your best friend when he or she is annoying you or really needs to shower or should probably lay off the liquor because wow that was a seriously offensive joke. However, there is a very murky, gray area in which lies "previously quasi-close friends/acquaintances," to whom social niceties should still be shown.

Not everyone shares my feelings in this matter.

Am I completely off here? Or is this whole post too vague to invite comment?

No comments: