31 July 2008

but I found a driver and that's a start


My impromptu trip to Chicago, in photographic form.
Let's start at the beginning, shall we?
[Apologies in advance for any bizarre spacing or formatting here. It's my first post involving extensive photographs on Blogger. I used to post pics on Xanga pretty regularly, but this site is slightly different to operate, as I'm sure some of you know. And when I say some of you, I mean my lone reader. Irrelevant tangent over: on with the show!]

Chillaxing in Fort Wayne "International" Airport. Blogging it up. Note how the hair actually looks decent at this early point in the day.

Reading all the hotel literature. I have to admit, I LOVE hotel amenities. I steal the pens and paper from every hotel room I've ever stayed in. And my family is really into traveling... so that rather makes for a lot of hotel pens. But they always write so well... [that makes it okay, says KleptoHolly. You all agree, right?]

What I love about my trip: I went with absolutely no idea what I was going to do upon my arrival in the city. I browsed some of the touristy literature available in the hotel lobby; that, combined with my memories of my fifth-grade field trip to Chi-town led to choose Navy Pier as my evening destination. The front desk clerk was extremely helpful and called a cab for me and everything. I adore people-watching.

I took this for my dad. Well, my whole family, really. We're really into cycling as a sport; my family recorded every single day's full coverage of the Tour de France on Versus. My dad and sister created fantasy teams [it's a real contest online during the Tour, they're not just insane] to compare to the winners, and we made predictions each day. We've been doing it for years. The commentators are bloody brilliant. I did immediately think of my dad when taking this photograph though; this is a bike rental shop, and they have a veritable HORDE of Treks! Those are REALLY EXPENSIVE BIKES! No wonder renting them is pricey, too.

I found a place to eat at the rail of Charlie's Ale House, inside the Pavilion at Navy Pier. It was a small, but bustling restaurant (I think it had a much larger outside patio, but I didn't really look that closely, I must admit. Too much fodder for observation indoors). The bartenders were both Hispanic, and the one that waited on me in particular was Francisco and spoke at approximately ninety miles an hour. He moved about that quickly, too. Very thorough, though, and quite funny as well. I struck up a conversation with a woman who inquired what I was eating and ordered the same thing for takeaway. She informed me there were fireworks that night at nine-thirty; naturally, I had to stay for the show, mainly because I love fireworks. And also Strongbow. If you haven't had it before, it's hard cider from England, and is TASTY. Best on draft, second best in a bottle, worst in a can. Unfortunately, it's rather hard to come by here in the States. Trust me, though, it's worth the effort.

I realize it's blurry, but I have to admit, after staring at it for awhile, I realized this photograph is perfect the way it is. This is exactly what it was like on the Pier. I was strolling along, basically letting the crowd shunt me along as people flew by in all directions. I love how the woman in white in the left foreground looks like she's just flying. It's amazing how a place that's meant for entertainment and, presumably, a good time, turns into such an occasion for stress and hurry for some people. It's definitely enjoyable to watch the hustle and bustle whilst meandering along, letting the cool breeze off the lake play with my skirt. Beautiful.

Snarky self-portraint on my way out of the hotel the next morning. I have a really crappy camera and shiny skin, okay? Step off. Seriously, though, I've been meaning to get a new camera for years. Mine is ancient and bulky and slow. But I do desperately love that jacket I'm sporting. Mmm. Nice and cheap, too! I've had it for months and haven't really had an occasion to wear it, so I'm glad I finally got to.

I'm quite confident I have one more post coming out of this random adventure of mine, but I did want to experiment with posting a series of photos, so I'll go ahead and let this one end nicely. Also, I've been watching "Friends," and the disc ended, so I have to switch it out for a fresh one. I work a double tomorrow at the 'bee's, so that'll be a fun one. Oy. Back to the real world, I suppose.

1 comment:

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

Your. Hair. Is. SOOOO. Long.

Wow!

And you talking about the pens reminded me of Ross. "It's built into the price of the room!"

:)