17 July 2008

I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping

At work we have a series of two or three CDs that are constantly playing on repeat during work hours. Because of how often I am present at work, I know all the words to a large number of both mid-90's and recent pop/soft rock Top 40 hits. In addition, I have come to loathe more than a few of said hits. I don't know the names or artists of half the songs we play, but I DO know I harbor a deep, unnatural hatred towards them. There's one song in particular that I think they play ON PURPOSE once I walk in the door, as it is ALWAYS ON when I'm opening the bar, and proceeds to get stuck in my head for the remainder of the day. Say it with me now: ARGH.

The whole point of this story is that to-day, the quintessential Abba song, "Dancing Queen," came on the soundtrack, and it was during a slower time in the afternoon, so they had the music turned up in the back so the cooks could be entertained whilst preparing the typical daytime lunch combos and half-size salads. The mid cook, J, immediately perked up when Abba started wailing, and loudly asked the kitchen manager to turn it up. Keep in mind, the kitchen manager is a young, bald guy who was drinking black coffee out of a Harley Davidson mug whilst working expo all day, and promptly gave J a look and a half that read something along the lines of: "Hi, are you a man? ABBA? REALLY?" J tried to defend himself by declaring that everyone is permitted a secret, guilty pleasure when it comes to music.

Which brings me to my main point. Is this true for all, both male and female? Presently, in my car, I have a number of CDs in the glove compartment (I know, I know. My dad keeps telling me this is a break-in waiting to happen. Especially since I have a new car. New Car + CDs Not-So-Subtly Stowed Away in Glove Compartment = Obvious Heist Target). Including in said compartment are Colbie Caillat [gift from Jaime K], The Beatles Blue Album (1967-1970) [self-purchased], Sara Bareilles [gift from Kathryn], Counting Crows [self-purchased], Linkin Park [stolen from my sister], the soundtrack to the Beatles rock-musical Across the Universe [self-purchased; also a freaking AWESOME movie if you like the Beatles and know some of their history/trivia], and Anberlin [also stolen from my sister]. Just to name a few. Oh yeah, and Natalie Grant. Self-purchased. I think that's a somewhat random mix. Any guilty pleasures in there? Not really. I have no shame in admitting to the kinds of music I like. Is it only a guilty pleasure if you are afraid to admit it, no matter what company you may be partaking of at the moment?

Example Two: my older brother was aptly born in the early 80's. He loves Metallica, Pink Floyd, Tool, Bush, Pearl Jam, and Live. However, he also loves "medieval rock" (no really, they take 16th-century tunes and vamp them up. It's both completely insane and strangely fascinating. Try it out, he recommends this band to get a feel for the genre), the Beatles, Phil Collins, and Billy Joel. One would think a hardcore Metallica fan, who has seen them in concert and loudly declares his devotion to ROCK, would not be willing to admit love for Phil Collins and Billy Joel. Nay, HE DOES. Maybe it's just my family.... totally didn't consider that angle. Hmm. This changes everything...

Guilty pleasure tunes? Anyone?


In other news, I cleaned my bathroom to-day, and immediately started disinfecting all the common surfaces in the APT. My roomie has been ill all week with a "throat infection and respiratory infection." This is a woman who is constantly sick, but never with ordinary ailments. All things require some form of medical attention, and she always knows exactly what will make her feel better. I admire her moxie. I fear all germs, illness, medical buildings/personnel, etc. And my sister wants to be a doctor. I will never understand her. This is just one more example of how I'm harboring Monk-ish tendencies. Which brings us to the main event of the evening... the SEASON PREMIERE of Monk and Psych. Two quality television programs that you should start watching immediately, if you don't already. If you have a sense of humour and enjoy a good detective/mystery story, then you will love them. Scout's honour. And I was never a Scout of any kind, so you know my word is gold.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

Hanson. (!)

And random 70's classic rock.

Dude. Thanks for the advice on clothing. You dress so well. And I? Like sweats. I'm learning. :)

(AND MONK? Definitely got teary-eyed at the end. So sad.)